Is Proofreading the Same as Text Correction?
Proofreading = Text Correction?
Proofreading does actually include the correction of texts in the conventional meaning, for example, the correction of spelling.
However, proofreading covers a much wider range of services.
The Purpose of Proofreading
When proofreading, it is also our goal to provide you with the best solutions in terms of terminology, grammatical structures, style, and format.
The Process of Proofreading
1) After sending us the text, you will be asked about the intended platform and target audience of the proofread text. This information helps us in devising the style of the text, and the level of expertise of potential readers.
The style of the text is adjusted accordingly, and more or less technical terms are included.
It is also an important aspect, whether the text will be published in written form (for reading), or it is intended for oral communication (presentation, defending a thesis or a Ph.D. thesis). The latter one is more important for the audience because they do not see the text, and thus, in such cases, we use shorter sentences that are easier to follow.
2) If possible, we also ask for the original text that was previously used for the translation. When comparing it to the translation, we can follow the original intention of the writer more easily.
3) Then the two texts are scrolled next to each other in parallel view, and we correct any differences or missing parts in the content
4) It is followed by comparing the two texts once again; and any errors in grammar, vocabulary, and style are corrected. We offer the best possible solutions for the reader or the audience.
It is a frequent issue that - for example, with theses or doctoral dissertations - although the text is clear and it contains few grammar mistakes, its wording is too simple, uses common expressions, which do not correspond to the requirements of the examination board at the university.
We are able to improve such texts substantially and ensure that the students achieve good or excellent results. Upon request, we also offer preparation for the oral defense. You can find more information about this service here: English Teaching
5) As the next step of the proofreading work, we read the translated text, and where fluency requires it, or where it would sound strange or even weird for the native speaker or listener, we modify the terminology, the grammatical structure, the word order, or the style, to ensure that it matches the original text.
6) The next step is comparing the form and structure of the translation to those of the original text. We carefully examine the layout of the text, the location of the columns and paragraphs, as well as any numbering. We also pay attention to the caption of figures and pictures.
The font type, style, size, and any special effects are checked as well.
In the case of theses, Ph.D. or DLA dissertations, and professional articles, we always coordinate with the client about the form requirements specified by the higher education institution.
We are proud to say that the theses or doctoral dissertations proofread by our Office always achieved good or excellent results
7) Finally, we check for and correct any spelling mistakes.
Why Do We Let The Translation 'Rest' for a While Before the Final Check?
If the deadline allows for it, we prefer to 'sleep on' the proofread text, or at least 'let it rest' for a few hours before the last reading and submission.
During the process of repeated readings and corrections, the reviewer can identify with the original intentions of the author of the text, which can lead to bias.
However, after a few hours of 'rest', we can examine the text objectively again.
How Shall We Keep Contact with You During the Proofreading Process?
- While working, we continuously collect the arising questions and the problems to be solved.
- Most of them will be solved as we come to a better understanding of the text.
- After the proofreading is completed, we will send the remaining 1-2 questions to you.
Is the Rate of Proofreading More Favourable Than the Rate of Translation?
Half of the current translation rate is charged for proofreading. So this is 50% of the price we would ask for a translation. Therefore, it can be stated that the rate of proofreading is especially favourable for our clients.
Please ask for a quote here: Request for quote
You can leave a message through the Contact Form below and we will call you or write an email to you as soon as possible.
For immediate information, please call:+36 30 546 0396 or +36 1 221 2866